Wednesday, November 30, 2016

November was a whirlwind of a month. It’s hard to believe that I’ve been in New Orleans for the better part of the year. It doesn’t feel like any time has passed because it doesn’t feel as if there is any difference in the weather. It is still sunny and 70 almost every day. It is so baffling for me because growing up in Ohio, I’m used to November being in the 30s or 40s with a chance of snow half of the month. At the same time though, it is nice because I haven’t had to break out my winter coat yet.

I have continued with my volunteering a KIPP. For the better part of November, we have been helping to update their files for all of their students. While the work can be tedious, it is nice that there is a bunch of us working together.

In addition to working with KIPP, I have continued to work with the SPCA. They held an auction in mid-November calling Howling Success. This is an auction whose proceeds go to various programs put on the SPCA like the community clinic, which aids in spaying and neutering pets, and humane education. At the auction, I helped patrons with any questions they had about the silent auction items as well as how to place a bid. It was a great time and I definitely enjoy helping out with the SPCA.
It’s crazy that December is almost here, but with that bring Christmas and the new year. I am excited that I get a break from studying for a little while but it’s hard to believe that I am almost half way through the program. So, again, until next time – peace, love, and beignets.

November volunteer hours: 10


Total hours: 25.5 hours

December has been a blast. It finally is "cold" here which means that sometimes the weather is below 60 degrees. In the midst of preparing for the last round of exams, I continued to volunteer for KIPP. We continued to help pass out supplies, organize files, and even make giant Christmas trees to hang around the school. I'm glad that the semester is over and I can't wait to see what the spring brings!

December volunteer hours: 5
Total hours: 30,5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment