Sunday, September 25, 2016

September has gone by with a blink of an eye. It seems that just yesterday it was Labor Day and I could still pretend that summer was still around. But alas, its almost time for my favorite season and some of my favorite things - jumping in piles of leaves and bonfires.

September might have been a whirlwind, but I continued my volunteering at KIPP. We've helped them out by continuing to organize parts of the media center and getting together materials for standardize testing. I also managed to fix the broken laminator with no prior knowledge, so that's definitely a small win for me!

Another thing we are starting is helping out at the KIPP high school down the road. We are helping out the freshman biology teacher with the labs the run on Fridays. This week I was helping the kids with graphing, independent vs. dependent variables, and testable vs. nontestable hypotheses. I had a good time and I can't wait to continue to help out with the class now and again.

I have also started to volunteer for the Louisiana SPCA. I love animals and volunteering with the SPCA is as close as I can get to adopting an animal right now. The SPCA had their biggest event this past weekend, Nola on Tap. This was a huge festival held in City Park with over 400 different vendors and 25,000+ festival goers. This event raises up to $250,000 for the SPCA so that they can continue to shelter and find homes for the animals of Louisiana.
Our roles for the day were to help take pictures of the event for the SPCA to use on their website and other social media sites potentially. I am excited to continue to help out with the SPCA in other capacities as well.

Until next time -- peace, love, and beignets.

Volunteer hours for September: 11.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment