Sunday, April 30, 2017

It’s hard to believe that my time in New Orleans is almost over. It’s been a crazy year full of its ups and downs, but I wouldn’t trade my experiences for the world. Deciding to move to a city in the part of the country I have never lived in was terrifying, but so worth some of its stresses. Tulane and this program have been an excellence choice for me and I am so happy I took this leap.

In April, I continued my work with the SPCA. I am glad that I got to continue to volunteer with animals this month and continue to help with the animals of this community. I was also lucky to volunteer with the Starbucks community. April is Starbuck’s month of giving back to the communities we work in. We worked with the NOLA Tree Project again. I am glad that I got the chance to work with such a great organization again. I highly recommend checking this organization out for those considering a different form a community outreach.

As part of our community service, our Environmental Signaling class collected dirt samples from around New Orleans and its surrounding areas. These samples were then tested for the presence of lead and other metals. High lead levels in soil can be very dangerous for both children and adults. After Katrina, the level profile of the city changed and our collection of dirt helps to fill in that profile a little bit more.

Again I am so grateful for the opportunity that Tulane has given me and everything that Tulane has to offer. And for the last time – peace, love, and beignets.

April’s service hours: 8 hours

Semester’s total hours: 18.5 hours


Total year’s hours: 49 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment