Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Beginning

To say I was nervous to move to New Orleans by myself would be an understatement. I like to think of myself as a pretty independent person, but I've never lived more than 300 miles from home. But so far being 800 miles from home has been the best thing for me. I've had to get out and meet people and be social in a city that wasn't a college town.

However, New Orleans is the perfect city to do that in. I've lived in the Midwest my whole life and everyone there is very friendly and polite, but they don't hold a candle to the people of New Orleans. Getting out and finding things to do is so easy here, and you don't have to go for more than 5 minutes to find something else. Even in torrential downpours (which are surprisingly frequent) people are still out having a great time. 

I knew moving down here I wanted to experience what the city had to offer, but I also wanted to return the favor. Tulane is my vehicle for helping me to accomplish that goal. One of my deciding factors about the program was the community service aspect. Volunteering has always been something that I have been involved with and I'm glad its something I can continue while down here. 

My first volunteer experience was at KIPP Leadership Primary. I really wanted to go to KIPP because I've worked with kids for a long time, from being a camp counselor to working church events with K-8th graders. Since they just started we were going all around the school helping with logistical things, like handing out supplies and making bus posters for teachers. Working at the school brought be a little closer to home, and I am excited to see what I will get to do in the future with the school. In the mean time, I'm going to going to continue to eat my way around New Orleans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment